Saturday, January 16, 2016

School mornings, add fruit and nuts

I am succumbing, I have arrived.  I know this because an entire half gallon of buttermilk will soon be residing in my fridge full-time, as I am certain my new preference for oat-based breakfast staples (we'll address fruit-based low sugar syrups sooner than later, I promise) will sustain itself, internal motivation has arrived.  Not sure what switched the gear other than executing recipe after recipe that I knew belonged closer to my heart, until hope was restored that popping a frozen pancake in the toaster certainly IS efficient and meaningful.

Number one on my list for the ease of batter preparation, simply mix everything with 2-1/2 cups buttermilk, rest in the fridge overnight, then serve spread with NUTELLA!!  Can't get less syrup-like than that, plus the inevitable protein that makes the fullness last longer.  Second in command is always chocolate chip oatmeal pancakes, each batch of dry mix makes for 5 marathon pancake sessions, which fills the freezer nicely.  If you have an entire morning free, combine 3 cups mix with 3 cups buttermilk and 6 eggs.  Serve your children breakfast, then keep that hot skillet going.  You'll never be able to thank me when healthy breakfast becomes as easy as these are.

Now if you are straight-up steel cut oats with pure maple syrup, brown sugar and cinnamon, then please pass the frozen blueberries and pile it high with toasted walnuts...raspberries and sliced bananas are never too far.  Of course, four year olds LOVE homemade blueberry muffins out of nowhere, which is why 2 cups of buttermilk are the perfect solution to life's difficulties, it's antioxidants and fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment